Tuesday 4 November 2014

The Long, Lost Review: TRAITOR'S BLOOD by Michael Arnold


Traitor's Blood by Michael Arnold
I read this book back in 2012 and I really thought I had posted this review to the blog before. After a search I discovered that I hadn't. It should be here. It was a great read!

So, here you have it, my 2012 review of Traitor's Blood by Michael Arnold. (which reminds me, I need to get back to this series and try book three) 


* * *

I don't believe during my history with doing reviews, that I have ever used the term 'rollicking good read'. Nor have I in fact used the word rollicking in any form. I think that is fair excuse for using the term now, for Traitor's Blood was a bloody rollicking good read and the author has won a fan...of at least the first book in his series.

Kicking off in 1642, it is primarily set against the microcosm that was Hampshire during the English Civil War and also includes the Battle of Brentford as a feature.

The book is an action adventure in every sense. The writing while not of vast scope was skilful in the way it strung the very fluid of the story together. Brimming with plots and plots twists. Addictive characters at every turn. A female spy character that I appreciated for her rareness (eg an independent female character that has plenty going on in her life and doesn't count marriage and children as a life goal). And a male protagonist, in the form of Captain Stryker, who was buckets of fun to read about.

On the cover of the book the publisher has a note saying this is 'The Sharpe of the Civil war'. Initially, this was a put off for me as every book that has ever tried to cash in on Bernard Cornwell's fame has failed dismally to live up to the hype. In the case of Traitor's Blood, I think finally there may be one that can.

I am excited to have found this series and, despite my aversion to more modern histories, have already bought the next in the Civil War Chronicles. Looking forward to reading more in this series.


- MM

No comments:

Post a Comment